An Academic Software Environment
for college students
What is Study Partner?
Study Partner is an Academic Software Environment developed by Applied Technology Products, Inc. (DBA Study Partner, Inc.) designed as a multi-faceted learning environment that prevents common pitfalls, provides a purpose-designed study environment, applies modern memory and learning research and leverages hard work to help students LEARN the material and EARN top grades.
Study Partner's Academic Software Environment is an educational tool, information resource and humorous friend designed to guide students through college, especially the crucial first year.
Key Facts About the First Year in College
Few students realize these key facts about the first year of college.
1. First year college course material forms the foundation for future studies (and the career that follows).
2. Students need to learn, and gain great facility with the material presented in the first year to create a strong foundation for future classes and career.
3. Superior grades in the first year are ESSENTIAL because they indicate that the student learned more than 90% of the material they will need in future classes..
Study Partner is designed to help students prepare for college, tests, papers etc., while providing a centralized infrastructure for study that leverages the students hard work, applies modern memory and learning research and automates review and self testing.
Students using Study Partner's Information Bank, Do it NOW! Database and Review and Self Test Modes should thwart test anxiety, learn the material, and earn top grades.
What Constitutes an "Academic Software Environment?"
Study Partner is a full featured software program that includes a basic word processor, database, multi-topic help systems and runs separately available content files designed to help students learn the material and earn top grades. Study Partner's functional, informational and external components apply modern interpretations of memory and learning research and work in concert to create an Academic Software Environment meant to provide functions, capabilities and information that centralizes course materials and helps students learn the material and earn top grades.
Study Partner Components
The Information Bank is a simple to operate word processor into which students transcribe their lecture and reading notes.
The Do it NOW! Database encourages students to identify collect and understand key course concepts.
Review Mode is an automated function of the Do it NOW! Database that allows repeated, focused, automated review of the material the student has placed into the database.
Self Test Mode is a function of the Do it NOW! Database that allows repeated automated self testing using the material the student has placed into the database.
Review Self Test Mode combines the features of Review Mode and Self Test Mode, allowing repeated, focused, automated self testing over the material the student has placed into the database.
Study Partner's Academic Help System provides a great deal of information about college and academia, acting as a help file for college itself.
Study Partner's Operational (and Context Sensitive) Help System provides a great deal of information about operating Study Partner, and is designed to make Study Partner easy to operate.
Study Partner's Tip of the Day Help System delivers more that seventy tips about college, college life, tests papers and other aspects of college life.
Study Guides are completed Study Partner files delivering information about college, scholastic basics, academic disciplines and program use and operation.
Study Partner's set up and start up files describe the best way to use Study Partner, and students who use Study Partner as directed should learn the material, earn top grades and have more time for extracurricular activities.
How Does Study Partner Work?
Study Partner's Academic Software Environment is purpose built to assist the college student with numerous common tasks and help them learn the material under study by applying modern interpretations of neuroanatomy, memory and learning research. In this context, Study Partner applies the three learning principles discussed in the next section.
Three Learning Principles
Study Partner encourages and or applies three learning principles to help students create the long term memories associated with learning.
1. "Practice at Retrieval," the act or trying to remember a fact when given a cue, has been shown to be the most effective means of creating long term memories. Study Partner encourages practice at retrieval during Information Bank deposits, Do it NOW! Database population and in Review and Self Test Mode, and students who routinely use practice at retrieval in Study Partner should learn the material under study very well.
2. "Re-representation in different contexts" is another study practice shown to be effective in creating long term memories. When students recreate the same information in different ways, memories are enhanced. Study Partner encourages the re-representation of course material in the Information Bank, the Do it NOW! Database and during the creation of questions for Self Test Mode.
3. "Less is more" is the idea that successful learning stems from breaking large amounts of information into smaller pieces and eliminating extraneous information. Study Partner encourages less is more type study, especially in the population of the Do it NOW! Database as students (ideally from memory) identify key concepts in their lecture and reading notes and transfer the concepts to the Do it NOW! Database.
In addition, Study Partner provides basic information about memory and learning as well as numerous study tips to helps students learn. These learning principles are applied, encouraged or mentioned in many contexts throughout Study Partner's Academic Software Environment as a means of helping students learn.
When Should Students Start Using Study Partner?
For best results, download and review the Study Partner Standard Help files as soon as possible before your first year in college. If you like Study Partner, and or want more detailed information about preparing for college, purchase a license to Study Partner to receive the Enhanced Study Partner Help system, which contains a great deal more information about preparing for, surviving and excelling in college.
While the program is designed to help first year students build a strong foundation for future studies, Study Partner should be useful to any student in any learning environment. However, it is still true that the sooner you start using Study Partner the sooner you will be able to take advantage of its Academic Software Environment, and the sooner you will be on your way to top grades and improved learning.
How Can I Download or License Study Partner?
Please visit www.collegestudypartner.com to download a copy of Study Partner or one of the growing number of Study Partner Content files.
Applied Technology Products, Inc. is very interested in exploring site licenses for Study Partner.
If you would like to license Study Partner for your USB drive, computer, college network server or other multi-seat setting, please contact us. We are very interested in site licensing, and we offer a discount on the first site license granted.